These LCHF courgette and cheese fritters held together with egg and almond meal make a quick, easy lunch for anyone eating a keto or low-carb diet.
It’s scary to think about how much the internet knows about all of us, but I have to admit that I do enjoy how my social media apps have become pretty good at knowing what kind of advertisements and articles I might be interested in. (Although it did take some time to train Facebook out of bombarding me with pregnancy and fertility products the second my relationship status changed to married. No thank you Mark Zuckerberg).
Occasionally I’ll still get a piece of marketing that leaves me wondering exactly what target market I’ve been lumped in with, such as today’s generous offer from an online supermarket Ocado.
I’m not sure what in my purchase history has suggested that I’m the ideal candidate to receive a free sample of adult diapers. I’m also not sure that ‘surprise treat’ is the most accurate description for this particular giveaway, even if the product were of use to me. So thanks Ocado, but no thanks. Surely you have enough data on me to know that any surprise treats should be chocolate based?
Online supermarkets are one of my favourite things, and this recipe invented itself out of my reluctance to visit an actual supermarket. I had some leftover roast chicken to eat for lunch, and wanted something non-bready to go with it. The only other ingredients in the fridge were cheese, courgettes and eggs. I combined them with a few additions from the pantry and these fritters just magically appeared.
I was surprised at how tasty they turned out (I should have known fried cheese would never let me down), and they’ve now become a regular dish in my lunch rotation. I’ve tried a number of different cheese combinations including smoked cheddar, feta and haloumi, but I think the cheddar/parmesan combo tastes the best.
- This gluten-free recipe makes a delicate batter, so flipping the fritters requires some skill. They’re a little trickier than a flour based batter, but it gets easier once you do the first few! Try using two spatulas, and ensure the pan is well oiled.
- Experiment with different cheeses if that’s what you have in the fridge – feta, haloumi, and cheddar all work well.
- Serve as a side dish for a meal, or on their own as a snack. Delicious with sour cream and your favourite chutney or chilli sauce.
- 1 large courgette
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2 medium eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup ground almond meal
- 1/2 t onion powder
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- 1/4 t cayenne pepper
- 1/2 t smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to season
- 3 T coconut oil or butter for frying
Grate courgette and squeeze out excess moisture with your hands. Combine with remaining ingredients and mix well.
Heat a frying pan over med-low heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter or oil. Drop tablespoons of batter into the pan, creating 4 or 5 fritters per batch. Ensure plenty of space between each fritter for ease of flipping.
When underside is golden brown, carefully flip the fritter (you may need 2 spatulas to ensure they don't fall apart) and cook the other side.
Drain on a paper towel and serve immediately.