Nobody will complain about eating their greens when you serve this lightly roasted broccoli tossed in garlicky browned butter and toasted nuts.
I had an amusing encounter at my local supermarket recently when popping in to pick up a few groceries. I go to walk down an aisle and stop to let an elderly lady go in before me. She immediately stops in her tracks exclaiming, “Plenty of room for us both dear! I’m incredibly flexible – look at this…” and proceeds to bend down and touch her toes half a dozen times. I tell her that’s very impressive and she must work out. “Oh yes”, she says, “Do you want to know my secret?”. Before I can confirm that of course I want to know whatever secrets she’s offering, she goes ahead and tells me that she stretches every day and eats plenty of vegetables. I thank her for the advice and giggle my way through the rest of the store.
I hope when I reach my eighties I too will be in a position to offer fitness demonstrations to unsuspecting strangers, so until then I’ll take her advice and ensure I do plenty of yoga and eat lots of vegetables. Luckily, this roasted broccoli tossed in garlic butter and hazelnuts makes the vegetable part easy.
I served this dish last night as a side with my low carb Chicken & Creamy Mushrooms, but it would work just as well with anything from a juicy steak to a pan fried fillet of cod. It’s so tasty, I could even happily eat a bowl of this on its own. Of course butter makes everything taste better, but the sharp garlic and savoury crunch of the hazelnuts take this often maligned vegetable to a whole other level.
- If using unsalted butter, add a little sea salt to taste when tossing the broccoli.
- The broccoli should have a medium-firm bite after roasting. If overcooked it will fall apart when tossing with butter.
Garlic Butter Broccoli with Toasted Hazelnuts
- 1 head of broccoli
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 40 g salted butter
- 30 g toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat oven to 180ºC fanbake and line a large oven tray with baking paper or a silicone mat.
- Wash the head of broccoli and slice into evenly sized florets. Toss to lightly coat in olive oil and arrange in a single layer on the lined tray. Roast for 15 minutes.
- While the broccoli is roasting, peel garlic and cut into thin slices. Add garlic and butter to a frying pan and melt over a low heat. Cook until butter begins to brown and garlic is light golden.
- When broccoli is done, remove from oven and add it to the pan with the butter and garlic. Add roughly chopped toasted hazelnuts and toss together. Serve immediately.